The Word and John

“There was a man sent from God whose name was John. (7) He came as a witness to testify about the light, so that all might believe through him. (8) He was not the light, but he came to testify about the light. (9) The true light that gives light to everyone, was coming into the world.” - John 1:6-9

“He must increase, but I must decrease." - John 3:30 

Concept Summary – The second best man who ever lived.

Got a little math insight for your consideration today. In America, according to the 2016 census, there are 326,000,000 Americans. Guess how many of that vast number of folks are veterans? Believe it or not all those people enjoy the blessings of America due to the service of just 21.3 million Veterans. If you do the math, veterans make up only 6% of our population, yet everything rests on them. They fail once, and it’s all over for the other 94%. Winston Churchill said it best when he said, “Never has so much been owed by so many to so few”.

But you know what? Speaking only from my experience, we in the sub community looked at our service as a priceless gift, a privilege even. You see, we knew what we were doing counted. We embraced the price we had to pay each patrol, knowing that our people were safe and our country secure due to our service. All folks who serve others know this truth, that putting our lives at risk for the betterment of others is really just another expression of love.

John the Baptist’s soul is on display in John 3:30 above. It is pure gold. His attitude always embraced his role in the plan of God. It didn’t matter to him that every day after Jesus started His ministry, John’s diminished proportionally. In fact, it was a source of joy to John the Baptist to see it happening. You can read the complete account of his assessment of Jesus in John 3:22-30.

You know, John the Baptist’s comment that He must increase and I must decrease applies to us as well! Every time you give to the church, you diminish and Christ’s work increases. Every time you suffer for associating with Christ’s values, you diminish, yet Christ’s impact increases. It’s a funny thing, but the scars we get as we diminish and Christ increases become our badges of honor, and truly the only things we cherish in our hearts. John the Baptist’s legacy can become ours as we embrace Christ serving others by serving Him.